Thursday, November 29, 2007

Update on the sprung dance floor

As I started to write up these next few posts about the dance floor I installed I got thinking. then I went into action See my Making-A-Dream blog post "Because I asked".

In the January issue of Irish Dancing Magazine you will read about and see some pictures of the floor I installed here at our house.

In the article I say to check this blog for further details on making a sprung dance floor.

So here goes.

The first thing I did was to go on line and do some research. both on why a sprung dance floor is important and how they are constructed. I found some great information about Irish Dancing injuries on the Hullachan Pro Site. He doesn't really talk much about floors but goes into great detail about injuries. Check it out.

Next I hit the professional dance floor sites. Roscoe, Harlequin, EFS, Jubilee and the like (in the February Issue of Irish Dancing Magazine I will do a review of these flooring systems) What I found was that all of the permanent professional flooring was quite expensive a the time. Some has come down in price recently and I am anxious to finish my review of the flooring for IDM to see what I would do today if I had it all to do again.

Through my research I found that most of the flooring systems have a similar structure

Hardwood
=======
Sub-flooring
======
something springy
======
The floor you are putting it on

Pretty simple right? Well no. what hardwood do you use? What sub-floor, what Something springy? I will go into each one of these questions in a separate post. they will all be posted by January, since the article in IDM references them for " further detail " so I better get on it.

thanks for reading.

Have any of you ever put in a sprung dance floor? let me know what you did.

Peace
Joseph

No comments: